Contemporary Russian artist Anna Berezovskaya creates a unique world of enchantment and gaiety in her latest series of works titled Edge of the World, where her signature style of poetic realism runs riot.
Buried beneath the fantasy façade are emotions and narratives that are depicted through symbols that are familiar to the average viewer. This series pivots on the sense of emotions that people go through as well as values that they hold close.
“I still draw on stories that I love from my childhood but in terms of development I realise I have developed and grown and my ideas are becoming more interesting, sharper, more developed. With my new series Edge of the World, I wanted to invest the works with a sense of what people value, what is worth doing. I have done this using the style and techniques I have always used, but perhaps with a stronger sense of symbolism and a greater awareness of my own artistic style,” said Anna.
Anna’s artistic journey has been one of continuous development. As we got to know more about her works, we discovered some interesting facts about the artist…
- Anna took two years to complete the 40 artworks featured in Edge of the World. Creating a new piece takes a long process which always starts off with an idea that will be further developed and eventually realised in the painting.
- Speaking of ideas… Anna shared that her most valued possession is her brain because that’s where her ideas are crafted. Having ideas that spark off her creative work is an important part of her artistic accomplishments. She believes that artists should not only be technically well, but they should also have ideas and know what they want to tell the world.
- She hardly gets creative block – probably only once a year.
- There’s no life outside of art for the hardworking artist. She works on her art eight hours a day. When she has spare time, she would start developing new ideas and sketch them out in her book. Every once a week or once a month, she’ll take a day off and spend time with her family and kids.
- Anna does not need travelling to be inspired as her ideas derive from everyday life.
Edge of the World runs from 15 May to 14 June at REDSEA Gallery located at 9 Dempsey Road.