The issue of being connected in the digital age has been under much scrutiny and debate. Technology created to dissolve spaces among individuals and ‘bring us closer together’ has been rightfully accused of achieving the opposite instead. No one could have foreseen the shift in human behaviour and interactions when such technology was first introduced into our lives.
Bringing back the fundamentals of personal interaction, starknicked (pronounced ‘stark naked’) has launched an old-school card game dubbed smôl tôk (pronounced ‘small talk’) that helps to create meaningful conversations beyond small talk and random chit-chat.
Armed with a purpose of designing games that create personal or social change, Nick Pang, founder of starknicked, shared, “With the internet and social media, people are more connected than ever before. Ironically, people are also becoming more disconnected from each other in their everyday lives. For some, instant messaging has become easier than talking, even when one is amongst friends. This is one of the main reasons that motivated me to create smôl tôk as a tool to facilitate passionate, open, and honest conversations that deepen relationships.”
The beauty of smôl tôk is that it cuts to the chase. From straightforward questions (“What do you most like to eat in the whole wide world?”) to sentimental ones (“How do you want to be remembered?”), each question within the card game was carefully crafted, tested, and selected to evoke deeper conversations that can go on for hours. Get to know your family and friends better or break the ice between complete strangers. smôl tôk is a game for people aged 18 and above.
Here’s how you play:
- Each player draws 3 question cards.
- A player directs 1 question card from his hand to another player. Every question is automatically followed by a ‘how’ or ‘why’ from the facilitator. All players are encouraged to follow-up with more questions.
- The player who was asked the question answers to the extent that he/she is comfortable.
- Different lifeline cards can be played to inject unpredictability: lifelines can cause all players to answer a question or to skip a question.
- Points are assigned based on what was asked and indicated on the card.
- Players draw cards to replenish their hands.
- The player who answered the previous question begins his/her turn by repeating steps 2-5.
- The game continues until a time or point limit is reached. The duration of the game is pre-determined by players. The game is created to accommodate durations ranging from a short 30 minutes when waiting for friends to a three-hour marathon while relaxing on a holiday.
- The winner is the player who accumulates the most points at the end of the game. Players may also choose to play without keeping score.
- Don’t let points stand in the way of having meaningful fun!
The smôl tôk basic deck retails at SGD32.90 and is available on starknicked online store. From now till end October 2015, the card game is sold at 25% discount to celebrate its launch. Simply quote “25off” at check-out to enjoy the promotional price. For more information on smôl tôk, visit the website.