Japanese clothier 45R recently opened its first store in Singapore, in none other than everyone’s new favourite mall, Capitol Piazza. The 40-year-old label seeks to provide its wearers with nuanced, minimalist aesthetics, designed and produced with comfort and quality in mind.
Here are some things you need to know about the newest addition to our fashion scene:
1) All of 45 R’s products are treated with a thorough, hands-on approach using pre-war antique looms and time-tested techniques. Sound foreign to you? This includes hand-spinning cotton into yarn, hand-stitching apparels, and wood block printing by hand.
2) To echo a sense of connectedness, 45R personally wraps items bought at the store in traditional furoshiki style. It is also an act of embracing a Japanese traditional and passing it on to the next person. These furoshikis are made of gauze woven with leftover threads, and can be used as a scarf (other than the obvious carrier).
3) Its signature items include selvedge denim which features a coveted uneven vintage texture (fondly known as dekobuko), a plethora of organic cottons – from Suvin to Zimbabwe cotton, and Star-T, their dry-touch tees.
4) Its core brand colour is indigo, and the brand’s artisans have created a spectrum of 22 original shades which are usually used with their range of jeans. These jeans will fade elegantly with time, but also available to be sent to their Japan headquarters for custom distressing.
5) In conjunction with 45R’s inaugural launch in Singapore, the Japanese brand presents its exclusive Painter Denim range for a limited time only. It is lightweight (read: perfect for our humid weather) and rocks a laid-back style. it features a seamless design where the material is used in its entirety. However, the 45R Painter Denim Collection is available in three shades, with two pieces in size only. The price ranges from SGD430 to SGD540. It’s in stores now, so hurry.
45R is now open and located at Capitol Piazza, 13 Stamford Road #01-13/14.